From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 09:20:29 CDT

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Aurelie.DeLuca_at_sanofi-aventis.com wrote:

AD> Hy everybody,

dear aurelie,

AD> I want to do a script what calcul RMSD between two structures what they
AD> haven't the same number of atoms. I can do it if structures have the

that is not possible. please think of what an RMSD stands for!
it is not just a "magic number" is made up but there is an algorithm...

the RMSD is computed atom-by-atom, so you have to create two selections
which contain the same number of atoms, i.e. take only the c-alpha or
the backbone so that it doesn't matter if the amino acids are different
and then make sure that you compare two peptide sections that have the
exact same number of amino acids. this will work.

cheers,
   axel.