From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 15:29:57 CDT

Hi guys,
  I believe the source files in public CVS may be marked as executable
because we have scripts that copy our internal CVS repository to the externally
accessible server. The scripts may do chmod -R ... type operations
to make it impossible for CVS permissions to prevent access to the files
by the unprivileged CVS server process. I haven't looked at the scripts
in years, but that's my vague recollection. It shouldn't harm anything,
though it may offend your sense of cleanliness to see all those source
files set to be executable. :) I can look into this more closely if
people actually care, but thus far it has never mattered to my knowledge,
and it has prevented bad permissions in our internal tree from creating
problems for external developers working from the public CVS.

Cheers,
  John