From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 16:34:14 CST

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Giovanni Bellesia wrote:

GB> Hi Axel,

hi giovanni,

[...]

GB> The idea is that these numbers can give me a measure of how much my small
GB> peptide is perturbating the water network.

ok, your script looks very reasonable. i'd actually increase the
"within" parameter for the hydrogens, because otherwise you'll
have water oxygens at the boundary of your area that are listed
as having no or fewer hydrogens in the neighborhood than they
actually have. secondly, i would then pick the water selection
to make a "hollow" sphere for the outer layers of water around
the peptide, so that you don't have the inner hydrogen bonding
averaged into the outer layers. something like:

name OH2 and (water and within 7.0 of protein) and (not (water and
within 5.0 of protein))

using some macros may make this easier.

other than that, you should actually get the kind of numbers
that you desire. please let me know how this works out. this
looks very interesting.

cheers,
   axel.