From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 09:27:34 CST

This still depends on exactly what you're going to *do* with the new
residue (look at it, run MD, run continuum electrostatics calculations,
etc). If you want to do MD, for example, you should look at the topology
file tutorial
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/topology/topology-html/)
and follow a similar procedure. If you want to change a residue, you can
change its residue name to the new residue name and run the structure
through psfgen with the new topology file you've created.
VMD itself doesn't have a "residue library"; several of the tools have
their own ways of knowing what residues are available. psfgen, for
example, gets this information from a topology file.

Peter