From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 05:58:14 CST

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, C L Freeman wrote:

colin,

CF> Thanks for your help Axel.

[...]

CF> earlier case the atom numbers would have been less than 100,000.
CF> The problem stems from my formatting of the pdb file. In my problem
CF> file I have:
CF>
CF> ATOM 100000 etc.
CF>
CF> clearly vmd can read a 6 digit atom number but it expects this atom
CF> number to start only 1 space after ATOM not 2. Persumably it has
CF> been coded with dividing lines into specfic numbers of characters
CF> as each term?

yes. please look up the PDB standard. this _has_ to be done,
since the PDB format is based on fortran fixed format, i.e.
each field in a line has a fixed set of columns. if you "shift"
those, part of the coordinates will not be read. if you generate
coordinates more often, it might be better to switch to a format,
where this restriction is not present.

cheers,
   axel.