From: Bogdan Costescu (bogdan.costescu_at_IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 11:41:38 CST

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Marc Baaden wrote:

> * POVRAY
>
> For povray output, I wonder which is the correct width/height aspect
> ratio ? The example gives 400x500, but I am not sure whether that is
> correct .. obviously what I want is that a square is a square. How
> is this value to be determined (eg does it depend on the actual window
> size used, ..) ?

I think that first you have to decide what you need this image for: as a
movie frame or as a standalone picture. For a movie, it doesn't make sense
(IMHO) to render more pixels than the device can show, for example when
presenting from a laptop/LCD projector, you are usually limited to 800x600
or 1024x768, so for example rendering a 720x576 image would work fine.
Obviously, if you want to have a nice standalone picture, you have to
render as many pixels as possible (compare with printer resolution) :-)

>From my experience with VMD 1.7.1 when trying to make movies, the easiest
is to set the VMD graphic window size to the same size as the final
picture size (720x576 in the above example), then set the same size on the
renderer's command line. This way you see in VMD approximately how the
final picture will look like and can zoom/slide/rotate/etc. until it looks
fine, but before spending too much time rendering useless pictures.

--
Bogdan Costescu
Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868