From: L. Michel Espinoza-Fonseca (mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 18:03:25 CST

Hi John,

That would be a great improvement in VMD. I know it sounds a bit
ignorant, but I always wondered why VMD uses the physical memory to
store the trajectories instead of using the hard disk to temporarily
store them, for example. I also have huge trajectories (like 10 GB)
and indeed, I always need to use the big machines to perform the
analysis and/or to reduce the size of the files by cutting off the
parts of the system I'm interested in. (Un)fortunately it seems that
we're reaching a new point in which we can easily get tens of
nanoseconds of systems with more than 200K atoms. That creates a lot
of trouble when analyzing the huge trajectories created by NAMD :).

Cheers,
Michel