From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 10:34:50 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, upgrading to a newer Intel graphics driver is the one and only
possible course of action that will help, but even then you may not have
a working volumetric coloring capability due to the limitations of the
Intel hardware/software. Both NVIDIA and AMD/ATI have working volumetric
coloring under Windows, so if you have the option of upgrading your
graphics hardware, that may end up being a more efficient use of your time.