From: Boris Steipe (boris.steipe_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 00:07:55 CDT

Just an observation that may be related: running 1.8.6 on my new
MacBook Pro (Intel Core Duo, Os X 10.4.10), if I generate a dock icon
by running VMD and then selecting "keep in dock", that icon starts up
VMD but then it opens the graphic windows, the main window, then
another window opens and it terminates. It does not open a terminal
window.

If I then use "show in finder" from the dock, it takes me to what
appears to be the executable *inside* the app: VMD 1.8.6.app/Contents/
Resources/VMD.app If I start that executable by double clicking it in
the finder window, I get the same behavior.

However if I double click the app's proper icon, or the dock icon
after dragging that app into the dock, everything works fine.

I would guess that the "real" app spawns required processes that
clicking the VMD.app or typing VMD at the commandline does not provide.

Other than that, it runs stably and the only problems I have
encountered are unrelated.

IIRC "keep in dock" worked normally on my G5 workstation, but I would
need to check tomorrow in case this is of interest.

Best regards,
Boris

---
Boris Steipe MD, PhD
University of Toronto
Program in Proteomics and Bioinformatics
Department of Biochemistry
Department of Molecular Genetics
http://biochemistry.utoronto.ca/steipe/