From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 20:34:41 CDT

Hi,
  If you're actually typing 'vmd' at the command line, it's up
to Apple's shell to find the program and start it, which may or
may not work. If you click the VMD icon in the MacOS X dock,
it should always start unless there's a problem with your bash
profile, or something similar. I'm actually surprised that
typing "vmd" at the command prompt works at all. If you tell me
more details about precisely what you're doing, I can give you
suggestions to alleviate your problem.