From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 21:18:42 CST

Hi,
  At present there's not really a way to make atom selections
graphically, since VMD is intended to work well with large biomolecules,
it has a very powerful textual atom selection language.
For small biomolecules, a picking based selection mechanism works ok,
but for large ones a text based selection mechanism is much more efficient
to work with. I can see why one might wish to do it with picking, we'll
have to see if there's an easy way to do something like this. You could
certainly write a Tcl script to do something like this. Take a look
at the "pickbonds" script in the VMD script library. I bet you can
modify that script so that rather than creating/deleting bonds, you could
instead use it to build atom selections and representations.