From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 16:04:31 CDT

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Victor Albert wrote:

VA> Dear VMD users,

victor,

VA> I am running a script that spits out a ".pdb" file that I then input
VA> into vmd. I need to be able to add molecules to an already-running copy of
VA> vmd from the command-line instead of opening a new copy of vmd every
VA> time. Thus, everytime I run the script:
VA>
VA> Is VMD running?
VA> if running: "add molecule command" - adds molecule to
VA> already-opened vmd
VA> if not: vmd -size 500 500 molecule.pdb - starts new copy of vmd and
VA> adds molecule

VA> The "add molecule command" is the one I'm having trouble with. Is there a
VA> way this can be done?

in principle yes. but why don't you just start VMD and
then run your script from the command prompt and then
do a 'mol new molecule.pdb'?

other than that, you have to open a socket to 'remote control'
vmd through. for more details, see

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/9740.html

and the scripts referenced.

cheers,