From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 17:22:56 CDT

Hi Jill,
  I'm not sure what might be causing the flicker/jumping on your
Eye3D setup. I just ran through a wide range of resolutions, topping
out at 1920x1080 @ 85Hz, all of the modes I tried at 85Hz or above
looked to be usable for stereo. I personally prefer 100Hz or higher
for stereo, but the GeForce2 in my test machine won't go that high for
1920x1080, though it does for 1600x900 and various other resolutions
which are still higher than 1280x1024. I'm using a Sony 500PS and it
doesn't exhibit any jumpiness etc. I'm using NT on this particular
machine, so perhaps something else is causing the problem you describe.
Its possible that your video driver isn't doing nice vertical retrace
sync, which can make a big difference when you're using stereo.
Have you tried enabling vertical retrace sync in your video driver settings?
I have mine enabled for the GeForce2 NT driver and it works very well,
no image tearing, popping, etc.

I've seen the Stereographics Synthagram monitors, but there's a problem with
them at present:
  Stereographics has not released the pixel mask pattern necessary to
  write stereoscopic programs for these displays. At present, the only
  way you can use one of these displays is to run Windows, with the special
  driver software they've developed. Since they had very simple demos shown
  on their displays at Siggraph I was unable to determine if they are
  very good for the sorts of things we do in molecular visualization.
  Given the lack of software development information on these displays,
  I cannot recommend them to anyone yet, nor can I promise that they'll
  work well with VMD. If Stereographics see fit to release the necessary
  software development information, then I would be able to write support
  code for these displays directly into VMD. Until that happens though, I'm
  taking a "wait and see" attitude. If someone gets to see one run a more
  sophisticated 3-D demo, I'd love to hear about it, please post such
  experiences to this mailing list if you get a chance to see one.

Thanks,