From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 15:48:34 CDT

Dear Cesar,
  I haven't yet tried to run VMD with Chromium, but last I checked
it was still missing some OpenGL calls that VMD needs in order to run
correctly. I saw Brian Paul at Siggraph last week and he indicated that
most of the things I needed were there now, and that they'd fixed a bunch
of things that made it harder than it should have been for us to support
WireGL systems in VMD, but I will probably need to setup a chromium test
box (or boxes rather) here in order to get VMD running on it.

Do you get specific errors from Chromium when you attempt to run VMD
now? If you can tell me what OpenGL calls it fails on, that would
help significantly. WireGL used to print errors whenever it ran into
unsupported OpenGL calls, I assume that Chromium has similar functionality.
If you can send me any errors you get from Chromium or VMD, I can see what
would be required to workaround the problem(s) you've run into.

If you are anxious, you might try running the previous revs of VMD
with WireGL instead of Chromium (though Chromium is obviously going
to be a much a more capable system when its finished).
VMD 1.7 and 1.7.1 should both work ok for WireGL if you
have a WireGL system setup, you have to set an environment variable
"VMDWIREGL" so that VMD knows not to use some OpenGL commands that
will cause WireGL to abort due to lack of complete OpenGL support.

Thanks,