From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 22:24:24 CDT

Dear Reinhard,
  At the moment, the only decent way to alter the default behavior
of the external renderers without editing files by hand or by script,
is to pass them command line arguments which override any default behaviors
they have internally and in some cases overriding the settings in the
generated scene file. As for your question about Tachyon, Tachyon doesn't
(yet) have the ability to do true orthographic rendering, so you might
want to use POV-Ray if your doing orthographic scenes. The pre-release
versions of VMD have code to do Orthographic scenes for Renderman BTW.
If time allows, we hope to improve the capabilities and interfaces to the
external renderers before VMD 1.8 is finished. If you have other specific
questions, please let me know and I'll try to help you out with this.
In general, the best thing to do currently is to write scripts which alter
the scene files, or else provide extra command line parameters to the
renderers in any VMD movie scripts you write, etc. The VMD moviemaker
script in the script library might be a good point of reference for this
type of thing since you could edit it pretty easily.

Thanks,