From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 12:40:29 CST

Dear Peter,
  The color categories shown in the color editor are
for discretized coloring methods which perform coloring
based on string names or similar properties. Resid and other
categories are done are done by color ramps or modulo 16
type mechanisms, and are only controllable by selecting a
different color scale. So, in your case, you may wish to
color by index, or by beta or some other method that you
can more easily control. You could define your own color
scale, assign values to the atom betas for the residues
you're interested in, or other combinations by writing
scripts as described in the manual sections below:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.7.1/ug/node72.html
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.7.1/ug/node186.html

Thanks,