From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 01:32:48 CST

Derek,
  The current version (and recent) versions of VMD have problems
running on the CAVE and i-desk, we are still working on fixing the problem.

Since you're running on HP-UX, you are likely to have other difficulties
which go beyond the known problem we have on the SGI platform, since we
have never run VMD in a non-SGI CAVE, to date. Once we get the current
version running well again on the SGI CAVE library, I would think that
doing testing on HP-UX wouldn't be too hard, but you'd have to do it for
us since we don't otherwise have access to the HP-UX CAVE libraries.
In the mean time, I'll have a look at our CAVE code and see whether it
is likely to work as-is on an HP, with a few fixes to the configure script
that are undoubtably necessary. There may be some #ifdefs that assume
IRIX where they shouldn't as well, which would at least partially explain
why your build seems to ignore the CAVE compilation flags. Also, even if
you compiled with the CAVE flag, you'd need to start with
"-dispdev caveforms" in order to get the CAVE trackers going.

Thanks,