From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 11:02:59 CST

Dear Tom,
  The animatepdbs script is subject to the same limitations
that normal trajectories are, since it results in the sequence
of PDB files being read in as new "frames" of a trajectory.
You could modify it however, to create a new script that would
load in one PDB at a time, color it the way you want, draw it
(or render with snapshot etc) and then delete it, repeating until
all frames are done.

In order to run scripts in VMD, you need to "source" them, otherwise
they get interpreted as a shell command as happened to you below. The
correct way to run a script in VMD is to source the script file first,
like this:

vmd > source animatepdbs.txt
vmd > animatepdbs 0 2 "%d.pdb"

Let us know if you need more help on this.

Thanks,