From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 09:53:51 CDT

Hi,
  In order to build on Windows, you need the CVS tree, which you've already
got, then you have to get and build Windows versions of:
  Tcl, TclX, Tk, and FLTK

You'll also need to have working OpenGL libraries on your system.

You'll need either Windows versions of Flex/Bison, or some other Lex/Yacc
compatible tool, or else a Unix machine around that you can use to run them
on and copy over resulting files to the VMD build area.
(We actually do the latter, with Unix machines serving the windows clients
 via Samba, compiling both the Unix and Windows codes out of the same
 source tree).

We've really never spent great effort making it easy to build VMD from
source on the Windows platform, so there may be one or two little items
that I'm missing. The major issue is really getting Tcl/TclX/Tk built,
which can be a bit of an operation before its all over. This is compounded
by the fact that you have to get a rev of TclX that works with the same revs
of Tcl/Tk, which isn't always easy. FLTK is pretty straightforward, and should
not be any problem.

These libraries are all normally put into the vmd/lib area.

In order to actually build from CVS, you really need to have the "lib"
area, which is most easily gotten by downloading vmd-1.6a2.src.tar.gz from
the web site. (The lib directory is not under CVS due to its potentially huge
size once populated with components for 10 platforms, like it is here in our
build tree....)

I hope this answers your questions.