From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 13:00:24 CDT

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 09:47:25AM -0700, B. Bennion wrote:
> I am curious how to use the povray render function when I have 100's
> of frames from movie that I want to be rendered.
> Brian Bennion

Hi Brian,
  The best way to render long movies using VMD (regardless of whether
you use the built-in "snapshot", Raster3D, POV-Ray, Tachyon, or one of
the other supported renderers) is to use a Tcl script to do the
rendering for you. We have a number of example scripts for doing
this sort of thing in the VMD script library:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/

Here are direct links to relevant movie making scripts and information:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/trajectory_movie/
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/trajectory_movie_short/
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/categories/movies.html
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/rotation_movie/
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/take_picture/
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/workshop/movie.html

If you are wanting to do something beyond what these scripts
demonstrate, please let us know and we'll help you out.

Thanks,