From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 18:58:34 CDT

Tim,
  As it turns out, this is in fact a bug in VMD 1.5. We also
discovered another problem with the RMSD code that has been plagueing
VMD since VMD 1.3, but we had not been able to debug until now.
We have already fixed the RMSD computation problem (sometimes crashed VMD,
particularly on Linux, and particularly noticable in VMD 1.3), and are
now working on fixing the GUI problem you have also discovered.

There might be a way for us to give a Tcl script to existing VMD 1.5
users that circumvents the GUI problem, but the sometimes-crash or
malfunction problem was in the measture_fit C++ code in VMD, and requires
updating to a new binary of VMD. We'll probably be releasing an "a1" version
of VMD 1.6 very shortly, and the RMSD fit problems will hopefully be
cured once and for all.

How are things going aside from RMSD fit? Any other comments/feedback?
Anyone? How was VMD 1.5 /wrt to other features, stability etc? Comments?

Thanks,

--
Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/