From: Kimberly Ann Foster (kimf_at_bioc.rice.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:09:40 CDT

Hi -
I have recently started using VMD with an I-desk, and have set VMD to
output to a CAVE environment. I created a .vmdsensors file, and have been
using the "trackers" menu to set up a cavetracker and cavebuttons, and can
use these with a "rotate" tool. This works alright - structures can be
viewed and rotated on the I-desk, but there appears to be some sort of
calibration or tracking problem - the pointer used for directing the
rotations sometimes does not follow along with hand movements, and the
protein being viewed doesn't change properly with the tracked glasses when
I move to the side of it or look down on it.

This is the .vmdsensors file I am using:

device fastrack0 vrpntracker://local/Fastrak:0
rot right 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
rot left 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 0 -1 0
device fastrack1 vrpntracker://local/Fastrak:1
rot right 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
rot left 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 0 -1 0
device fastrack2 vrpntracker://local/Fastrak:2
rot right 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
rot left 0 0 -1 -1 0 0 0 -1 0

#Configuration for the CAVE device
cavetracker cavetracker://local/cave scale 1.0 offset 0.9 -4.0 -1.0 device
cavebuttons cavebuttons://local/cave:0,1,2,3

#For left-handers
#device left_handed_cavebuttons cavebuttons://local/cave:3,2,1,0

I am not even sure if I have the right device names for the Fastrak right
now, and I don't understand what the relationship is between the
cavetracker and fastrak devices. Any advice about setting up the
.vmdsensors file or getting tracking to work properly would be
appreciated.

Thank you, Kim