From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 16:11:10 CDT

Hi,
  For best results, both VMD and the VRPN server should be the same
major/minor version, though you can often run a VRPN server with a
different minor version number so long as the network protocol has
not changed between minor versions. To help with situations like yours,
we provide a pre-compiled HDAPI-enabled VRPN server binary that matches
the VRPN version compiled into VMD. You can get it from the VMD Public
project on biocore, in the "VMD Public/vrpnserver" directory. You'll
need to edit the example configuration files for your local VRPN
server host machine name, and so on. Several others are already
using this with the new HDAPI-based haptic devices. Let us know if
you need more help with this.