From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 15:34:03 CDT

Hi,
  Indeed, the output from 'glxinfo' has verified that your current
video driver/library combination is _not_ exporting the OpenGL
programmable shading extensions at all, which is what you're
also seeing in the VMD startup messages.

In order to use VMD's GLSL features, 'glxinfo" must list the extensions:
  GL_ARB_shader_objects
  GL_ARB_vertex_shader
  GL_ARB_fragment_shader
  GL_ARB_shading_language_100

If you're missing any of those, then the GLSL shading mode will
be disabled, since VMD needs all of them in order for its shaders
to function correctly.

Hopefully your system adminstration team can correct this by setting
your machine up with an appropriate driver and OpenGL library.