From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 10:21:19 CDT

Pawel,
  Great, I was hoping that'd solve your problem. You can draw a
color scale bar using the Visualization->Color Scale Bar plugin:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/colorscalebar/

The colors used by the color scale bar are those in the active
color scale. You can change the active color scale scheme in
the Graphics->Colors menu, in the Color Scale tab.