From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 12:06:08 CST

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, subhasish chatterjee wrote:

SC> Hi Mark,
SC> Thanks for your reply. Any suggestion for the preparation of
SC> nanotube/nanopore structural and parameter files would be very
SC> helpful.
SC> There is very effective information regarding the use of VMD and
SC> NAMD in biomolecular MD simulation in the tutorial materials and
SC> website, and thus it is going fine so far.
SC> A little more elaborate description of the nanopore simulation would
SC> be very beneficial.

well, mark's point is, that if you were more comfortable with using
the available tools already, you wouln't even ask a question this
generic. if setting up a simulation like you have in mind, would
be that common, so it justifies the effort of writing a tutorial
about it, you wouldn't have a research project (since others would
have done it before). hence, the one and only advice and help you
can get, is to practice on simpler examples until you are deservedly
confident in using them.

now to generate coordinates for a single walled carbon nanotube
(i don't know what you mean by 'the' nanopore, i guess this is the
same). you just go into the literature. there are a few simple
expressions on how to compute the coordinates (you have to make
a choice what kind of an (m,n)-nanotube you want to produce), and
there are also some parameter sets that you can use. there also
are many open questions in your request (how should your total
system look like? do you want to embed the nanotube into something?
what else should be in your system? etc. etc.). if you want specific
help, you have to provide more specific information.

furthermore, since you were writing about voltage driven transport,
you should have a very close look to non-equilibrium MD. this is
a wholly new can of worms and can be a lot of trouble in itself.
be prepared to need very large quantities of compute power at
your disposal.

cheers,
    axel.