From: Dr. Seth Olsen (seth.olsen_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 21:38:01 CDT

Hi Axel,

And just to make sure that the horse is well and truly dead, after adding an
extra line to the script so that after making the black cylinder and then
with the same endpoints (+/- 0.5 on the x axis), colored green with a larger
radius. The error reappears. See attached picture.

Cheers,

Seth

On 9/22/06, Dr. Seth Olsen <seth.olsen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Axel,
>
> To be more specific about that last statement, if you change the script so
> that it loads the PDB after creating and drawing the graphics molecule, then
> things seem to work (in the sense that the graphics are not distorted. In
> case it might be of use, I'm attaching my .vmdrc file this time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Seth
>
> On 9/22/06, Dr. Seth Olsen <seth.olsen_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Axel,
> >
> > If this is the case, then something is definitely wrong. Attached
> > please find a python script named 'VMDAngstrom.py', a pdb file named '
> > AngstromScale.pdb', and a JPG file named 'Angstrom.jpg'. The pdb
> > contains 2 nitrogen atoms placed at (- 0.5,0.0,0.0) and (0.5,0.0,0.0).
> > The script loads this pdb (lines drawstyle), then creates a graphics
> > molecule and draws a thick black cylinder cylinder with endpoints at (-
> > 0.5,0.0,0.0) and (0.5,0.0,0.0). The JPG shows just what I got when I
> > ran the script.
> >
> > I am running a precompiled linux binary of VMD 1.8.5. I have pointed
> > PYTHONHOME to a precompiled python binary (compiled for 1.8.4, but there
> > is no current distribution as far as I can tell). My OS is FC5 running on a
> > P4.
> >
> > What's even more frustrating is that it seems that different results are
> > obtained if you create the graphics molecule, then load the pdb.
> > Regardless, I don't think this is the way VMD was intended to work.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Seth

> > > ( i.e .
> > > lot of
> > > several
> > > uses an
> > > uses?
> > >
> > > all graphics objects are drawn on an angstrom scale.
> > >
> > > axel.

> > > 75)

> > > positions of
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > =======================================================================
> > > Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu
> > > http://www.cmm.upenn.edu
> > > Center for Molecular Modeling -- University of Pennsylvania
> > > Department of Chemistry, 231 S.34th Street, Philadelphia, PA
> > > 19104-6323
> > > tel: 1-215-898-1582, fax: 1-215-573-6233, office-tel: 1-215-898-5425
> > >

> > > =======================================================================
> > > If you make something idiot-proof, the universe creates a better
> > > idiot.
> > >

> > --
> > ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms
> >
> > Dr Seth Olsen, PhD
> > Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomolecular Modeling Group
> > Centre for Computational Molecular Science
> > Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (Bldg. 75)
> > The University of Queensland
> > Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia
> >
> > tel (617) 3346 3976
> [...]

Angstrom2.jpg