From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 05:53:47 CDT

Hi,
  I'm not sure why the permissions are missing the user-execute bit,
perhaps this is a result of the AFS filesystem on the NCSA machine I use to
build the Itanium versions of VMD. In any case, setting the execute bits
for yourself with 'chmod' should indeed cure your problem. I'll look into
this and determine if there's anything amiss with that installation image.