From: Ana Celia Araujo Vila Verde (avilaverde_at_engr.psu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 08:31:59 CDT

Hi Axel,

Thank you for your reply. However, my problem is still here. Following your own example of a 1-D PBC, this is what I did:
Considering that my unit cell only has 2 atoms, but that I have 3 unit cells in my real gold film (a--a'--b--b'--c--c'), I put in cellBasisVectorX the sum of the distance between a and c' and the distance a--a'.

By doing this I expect to see in VMD

...--(a--a'--b--b'--c--c')--(a--a'--b--b'--c--c')-- ...

However, when I do this it seems that I get something like:

...--(a--a'--b--b'--c-(a-c')-a'--b--b'--c--c')-- ...

That is, the first atom of the second cell comes before the last atom of the first cell.

This happens even though I know the distance I put in cellBasisVectorX is correct (I checked a number of times).

If anyone can provide a clue as to what I am doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ana
_________________________________
Ana Célia Araújo Vila Verde