From: Eugen Leitl (eugen_at_leitl.org)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 03:43:21 CDT

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 01:21:22PM -0500, John Stone wrote:

Hi John,

> Do let me know if you get the SpaceTraveller to work
> with my Unix drivers (which are different than the Windows version of

I thought libsball http://jedi.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/projects/libsball/
was only for serial devices? Or is there a newer USB libsball built-in
into VMD? I poked around yesterday, but couldn't find anything
conclusive, so I would need a few hints on how to get started.

> VMD). I've been wanting to add support for the official 3DConnexion
> Spaceball drivers on Unix, but haven't had a chance to work on it yet.
> It didn't matter for the older Spaceball devices, but I don't have code
> to talk to some of the newest variations, and I don't have one locally
> to test with, so I may have to add the 3DConnexion Unix driver to VMD

I'm running a 64 bit Linux (Fedora Core 5), and the 3dconnexion drivers
are pretty rudimentary.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/download.php/112/3dxware-linux-v1-0-1.tar.gz
doesn't work with 64 bit (missing a library), and I haven't figured out
http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/download.php/24/xdriver_4-65_linux_x86-64.tar.gz
yet, which is supposed to work on 64 bit.

> in order to solve this.

Is the 3dconnexion SDK license compatible with VMD's?
The SDK is here http://www.3dconnexion.com/docs/xdevelop.tgz

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org