From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 10:38:54 CDT

Simon,
  Have you run through the steps outlined in the Linux release notes?:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/linuxrelnotes.html

This is typically caused by a missing shared library, or bad OpenGL drivers.
You'll be able to determine which by following the steps given in the
Linux release notes. If you need more help after doing those steps,
let us know.