From: Ana Celia Araujo Vila Verde (avilaverde_at_engr.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 15:49:23 CST

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I don't think I was very clear on my previous email.
Let me see if I can explain my problem better:
The procedure has a foreach loop, looping through the elements in variable $selection.

When $selection is set to "sheet protein backbone" (lets call this mode A), then in the first loop it will calculate, for all frames, the RMSD of all the atoms belonging to sheets relative to those same atoms in frame; it will output those RMSD values into a file. In the second loop it does the same thing but for all the atoms in the protein, and will output to a different file. In the third time it does the same thing for all the atoms belonging to the backbone.

If I set selection to just "protein" (lets call this mode B), the foreach loop will only take place once, and will calculate the RMSD of all the atoms belonging to the protein relative to those same atoms in frame 0 and it will output those into a file.

The problem is that, even though I didn't make any other changes in the tcl script, the RMSD for the protein atoms calculated using mode A is different from the RMSD that I get using mode B, even though I'm doing exactly the same thing in both! It's like information from the first loop somehow passes into the second loop, even though I unset all the variables at the end of each loop.

I hope I explained my problem better.

Thanks,

Ana

 _________________________________