From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 10:11:21 CST

Adrian,
  VMD 1.8.4 also lets you color by "Element", so if you're willing to
run one of the test versions, that feature is already there. In the old
versions you can only color by the atom "name" which is deconstructed,
hashed, and messed with by VMD for it's own convenience. I think for your
specific purpose, using the new version is a better idea since this feature
is already there.