From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 11:50:38 CST

Hi,
  While it is possible to add text labels to the molecular scene in
VMD, I've always felt that for the purposes of giving a lecture there
are distinct advantages to the availability of a wide varity of fonts,
thicknesses, text colors, shadow-backdrop, and various other features
found in packages like Photoshop, GIMP, Illustrator, and the other
image editing and illustration packages out there. You can use the
'draw text' or 'graphics' commands to draw text in 3-D in VMD, but
I think you may be happier if you edit your final figure in one of these
packages and add text labels that way. If you want help with the text
commands, let us know.