From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 23:32:18 CDT

Hi,
  VMD 1.8.2 is an old version. The binaries we provide for VMD 1.8.2 were
built on IRIX 6.5.x, so if you're running our binaries, this is the source
of your problem. If you've compiled from source then there's still a
possibility that you're running into a compiler or operating system
version dependency since we did all of the development and testing of VMD
1.8.2 on the newer IRIX 6.5.x versions. Before you try running VMD in
full-up CAVE mode, I strongly suggest that you put it through its paces
running with a simple OpenGL window and make sure that works first. Once
you get it working with the standard OpenGL display, then you can begin
testing it in CAVE mode. If it won't run on your system in the normal
OpenGL mode, then there's no way it'll run in CAVE mode since the CAVE
renderer is a superset of the OpenGL renderer.