From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 11:05:33 CDT

Paul,
  In addition to the Intersurf plugin that someone else mentioned, you
can use the "within" atom selection in combination with "Surf" or "MSMS"
(requires MSMS be downloaded and installed of course) to display only the
portion of the surface near the ligand of interest. The use of the atom
selection language is described in detail in the VMD User's Guide.