From: Stefano Piana (piana_at_power.curtin.edu.au)
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 04:38:25 CDT

Hi all,
I have been using VMD for a long time without any problem. Now I
installed VMD on a new machine running RHEL 3 and VMD (both 1.8.2 and
1.8.3) crashes while loading PDB files. I tried to track the bug and I
found out that the crash occurs when the number of bonds in a file
exceed a certain number (about 1000). If I turn all the atoms to
hydrogen in the PDB file I can easily load and display a PDB file
containing 1M atoms in VDW representation, therefore it looks to me that
there is no problem with the graphic libraries. As soon as I have heavy
atoms around VMD immediately crashes if the file I try to load contains
more than a few hundreds atoms.
Just to rule out any problem with the PDB format I have tried with PDB
files coming from all sort of sources (gromacs, the protein data bank,
the examples coming with VMD).
Any suggestion?

Stefano