From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 14:06:16 CST

Jerry,
  I know that some of the recent ATI drivers have stability problems
on Linux. Try disabling the advanced rendering features in VMD and
see if you get farther, this has worked for a few others that have
problems with the recent ATI drivers:
  setenv VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS 1
  vmd

If this solves your problem as well, be sure to report that you're
having problems to ATI so they work on this for subsequent drivers.