From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 11:31:14 CST

Sabuj,
  That's really interesting. It sounds to me like NVidia's new driver
has some sort of problem with drawing quads or quad strips in immediate mode.
If that's what's going on, then a lot of other programs are going to crash
too, not just VMD and Pymol, so I suspect they'll have to fix this very
soon :-) All of the VMD reps you listed as having problems draw
quadrilateral strips at some point, so that's my personal guess as
to what is happening with their new driver. The Isosurface rep is
one exception, it is drawing triangle strips, so I'm not sure why you'd
have trouble with it, given that several of the others you listed do
as well. Please email these results to linux-bugs_at_nvidia.com so they
are aware of the problem. If you can do similar tests with Pymol,
that will help convince them it's a new problem with the driver and not
just one bad software package, which is likely their default assumption.

  John