From: Dallas Warren (dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 16:49:50 CST

John,

> What happens if you set this environment variable and then run VMD?
>(assuming your using csh/tcsh)
>setenv VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS 1
>vmd

Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.3 (February 15, 2005)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
Info) OpenGL renderer: Fire GL X1 Pentium 4 (SSE2) (FireGL) (GNU_ICD)
Info) Features:
Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.

>Let me know if you still get the crashing behavior you describe.
>It certainly sounds from your description that updating your
>FireGL X1 driver is causing this problem. If VMD runs in this

And here I was thinking it would solve some of the graphics window sizing
problems ;-)

>reduced-capability mode, I can send you some more environment
>variables to set in order to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Lecturer
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au
+61 3 9903 9083