From: Peter Engelhardt (engelhar_at_medi.mappi.helsinki.fi)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 13:19:33 CST

Hi All,

Please let us know how we can install stereo
viewing (e.g. for VMD, Chimera and other similar
softwares that have options for stereo viewing),
on our Macs e.g. latest G5 (but also for older)
with flat screen - or best the big new 30' screen
could be the most attractive - and on iMacs etc
with ordinary screens.

We are still using SGI though they are rather
slow for big 3D reconstructions to be visualized
so the new Macs e.g. G5 must be much faster.

Stereo viewing works on PCs as I have heard but
as our lab at Univ of Helsnki prefer Macs
(allergic for PCs) we now want to know how we can
get stereo (not Red-Green or Blue that we
frequently use as a substitute) but the real with
the SGI like glasses style.

Stereo glasses for PC are very cheap also
comparing to SGI - and there seem to be different
for flat screens and ordinary for Pcs.

So, what are the methods or opinions - if any -
to have real stereo working on Macs today.

I have been in contact with Mac sellers several
times here but without getting any real or final
answer, either they are totally ignorant, they do
not know or care.

Can we use the PC glasses and do we need to
install additional supporting card and are these
available for Mac etc and where to get them?

Or is old SGI or are we forced to Pcs as the only alterative?

Sharp e.g announced recently a flat screen where
no glasses are needed but with 15' screen the
resolution and method might be not very good -
are there someone who have some experience on
Sharp?

I thank you all in advance for any answers on the subject.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Engelhardt, PhD, docent
Assistant Professor in Molecular Genetics
Unit of Molecular Electron Tomography
Department of Pathology and Virology
Haartman Institute
P.O.Box 21, FIN-00014 Univ. of Helsinki, Finland
Visiting Address: Haartmaninkatu 3, Helsinki
Office Tel: (+358-9)-19126431 (direct)
Laboratory Tel: (+358-9)-19126441
EM-facilities, Tel: (+358-9)-19126885
Fax: (+358-9)-19126491
FIN-00014 Univ. of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Mobil Phone: +358-9-(0)41 561 0171
LCE, Laboratory of Computational Engineering,
Research Center for Computational Science and Engineering
Helsinki University of Technology (HUT),
P.O.Box 9203, FIN-02015 HUT, FINLAND
Visiting Address: Innopoli 2, Tekniikantie 14, Espoo
CSC (Center for Scientific Computing):
Visiting Address: Tekniikantie 15a D, Otaniemi, Espoo
SGI-facilities, Tel: (+358-9)-4573229 (direct)
Home address:
Lindstedstvägen 1 B 7
FIN-02700 Grankulla,
Finland