From: hinsen_at_llb.saclay.cea.fr
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 03:45:18 CDT

On 28.09.2004, at 19:31, John Stone wrote:

> We removed the particular RGB-color commands used in the past in
> favor of consistency with the rest of VMD, using the indexed color
> scales.

Consistency is fine, but at the price of removing features...

> If you want to assign specific colors, this can still be done by
> modifying
> the color scale via a script and assigning the appropriate color index.

The problem with that is that there is a fixed and small number of
colors available. It is not uncommon in my applications to have
hundreds of different colors (e.g. placing arrows on a grid covering a
protein, with the color of the arrow indicating the value of some
property).

Moreover, the indexed colors are global. If I generate two scripts that
use colors, I can't load both without the second destroying the colors
of the first.

Konrad.