From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 12:36:51 CDT

Julie,
  This is well documented in the VMD User's Guide.
The type of atom selection one uses for this is in the form of:
  "same residue as within 4 of name FOO"
(where "FOO" is the name of your atom, you could also use "index xxx"
 if you knew the atom index in question)

There's much more detail about 'within' and 'same' selections
in the VMD User's Guide here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node84.html