From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2021 - 23:40:31 CST

Hi,
  The old VMD/NAMD AMIs were based on a Linux base AMI that AWS has
retired, so they've retired all AMIs (ours included) that were built
using that base AMI. Only people that already have the old AMI
can continue to use it going forward. They do this periodically for
security reasons, since there are always new Linux security issues to
address in the base AMIs.

We plan to make a new AMI soon when we release new versions of VMD and NAMD.

In the mean time, you can use a standard AWS Linux AMI and just install
NAMD and VMD in it yourself, just like one would do on a normal desktop
workstation.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/