From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2020 - 09:56:07 CST

Hi,
  They are "alpha" versions, which is to say, less finished and/or
less stable than "beta" versions. Since I had to compile these using
pre-release versions of FLTK and Tcl/Tk, to get updates and bug fixes
required for compatibility MacOS Big Sur and the new ARM64 hardware
even if VMD was stable, the underlying GUI toolkit codes used for
these builds are not yet at the same degree of stability and testing
as the rest of VMD is.

Best,