From: McGuire, Kelly (mcg05004_at_byui.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 23 2020 - 03:27:11 CDT

What are the differences between Tachyon-Optix and Tachyon-Ospray? Optix seems to render faster, but there appears to be some differences in rendered images as well. For example, if I render a molecule with AO and shadows enabled and set the material to transparent, the image quality and appearance is quite different for Ospray vs Optix. Ospray looks more realistic and higher quality. However, Ospray seems to ignore any lighting when the material is set to brushed metal or metallic pastel but Optix does render the lighting. Ospray appears as though the molecule is in the shadows with these materials even if I turn the AO Direct up to max and all lights on.

Dr. Kelly L. McGuire

PhD Biophysics

Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology

Brigham Young University

LSB 3050

Provo, UT 84602