From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2020 - 14:53:13 CST

Hi,
  In order to read NetCDF files in VMD, the VMD NetCDF plugin has to be
compiled on the target platform and added to the plugin directory, not just
the NetCDF library itself. I would also note that .lib files are not usable
for this purpose, you would have to use a .DLL on Windows. At present the
NetCDF plugin isn't compiled on Windows because the NetCDF version we have
been compiling against wasn't compatible with dynamic linkage on Windows.
This is something I hope to address going forward as we adopt the use of
newer revs of the NetCDF library.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/