From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2019 - 22:45:26 CDT

Hi,
  While not an ideal solution in all cases, we have added support for
DSSP variants (e.g. "xdssp" and others with compatible behavior) in
the new developmental versions of VMD. This will become available in
an upcoming test version of VMD in the next couple of weeks, but it's in the
main source code already for those that are curious. Support for DSSP should
soften the blow in cases when STRIDE fails. Going further, we are working
on our own secondary structure determination code for VMD, which while a
long ways off yet, will hopefully solve these kinds of issues
more permanently.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/