From: Vlastimil Zíma (zima_at_karlov.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2018 - 14:02:54 CDT

Hi everybody,

as I'm finishing my PhD and heading out of world of molecular dynamics, I
will most likely no longer use VMD.

I've tried several times to provide patches to VMD, but since it's so
cumbersome, I'll put my effort into some other project. As I work as a
programmer for several years now and also participate in open source
projects I can only recommend to open the VMD source code to more
developers. Using CVS and having patches send over email is a terrible
approach when there are services such as GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket and
others and modern version control systems.

All my molecular dynamics related projects are now open for new
maintainers, as I most likely will no longer support them:
 * https://github.com/ziima/pyvmd
 * https://github.com/ziima/vmd-debian
 * https://github.com/ziima/namd-debian
Well, all my projects at github are open for contributions, you can check
any of those at https://github.com/ziima/

Best wishes
Vlastimil Zíma