From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2018 - 16:48:50 CDT

Axel,
  Thanks for the warning on that.
What about making the plugin use a set of runtime-set function pointers
for it's I/O calls? In practice, when opening a file with the .gz suffix,
it would use function pointers that point to gzgets(), gzprintf(), etc,
but when opening a file without the suffix, the function pointers would
point to the stdio calls, fgets(), printf(), etc. The code required
for that would only be very slightly more involved than what it is doing
now with the compile-time macros, and it should run as fast as it can
without creating compilation complications. This would seem to resolve
both issues at low cost as far as code complexity goes.

Best,